Are you interested in helping us build a sustainable food future right here in Green Bay? Would you like to take part in a community-driven project to grow local, healthy food and improve lives through job training and education? We’re always looking for new volunteers at The Farmory in a variety of roles.
Available Volunteer Positions
Hidden Open Toggle
Fish Hatchery Volunteers
Purpose: Do you want to be part of something new and exciting? The Farmory is launching our yellow perch fish hatchery and we need volunteers to help care for our fish! Specifically, you would be watching over the eggs, larvae, and fingerlings of our brood stock. We are offering volunteer positions or internships. The Farmory needs passionate volunteers that are willing to help tend to the fish in our system to ensure that we are producing happy and healthy fish. You will be key in helping us launch the aquaculture and aquaponics industry in Wisconsin with education and consistent seed stock (fingerlings) for prospective aquaculture and aquaponics farmers!
Location: This position will take place at, The Farmory (815 Chicago St. Green Bay, WI 54301).
- Daily fish hatchery tasks to help monitor and care for yellow perch eggs, larvae, and fingerlings
- Recording research and observations
- Keeping the area clean/Putting materials back where they belong
- Working with a team to ensure health of whole “farm”
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills and effectiveness in task and time management
- Verbal and written communication skills
- A minimum of 2 hours a week
Purpose: Do you have a green thumb? Or, if you don’t have a green thumb, do you like to get your hands dirty? The Farmory is an indoor sustainable farm that uses aquaponics to give back to the community. The Farmory needs passionate volunteers that are willing to help tend to the plants and fish in our educational grow system to ensure that we are caring for happy and healthy produce. The data that is gained from our aquaponics grow system will be used to educate the community and build our large-scale operation in the future.
Location: This position will take place at, The Farmory (815 Chicago St., Green Bay, WI 54301)
Supervisor(s): Cory Petri
- Daily farming tasks, including but not limited to grooming plants, harvesting, planting, feeding fish, etc.
- Testing water quality and ensuring proper fish and plant health.
- Recording research and observations and offering input.
- Keeping the area clean by putting tools where they belong, mopping floors, siphoning tanks, etc.
- Working with a team to ensure proper functioning of whole farm.
- Must pay attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and effective time management.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Training will be provided by the Farmory.
- An average of 0.5-1.5 hours per week.
Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteers
Purpose: If you are on point with your social media game and graphics, consider using that skill to help The Farmory grow! Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteers will lead efforts in The Farmory’s social media presence to raise awareness of the organization and engage readers in our efforts to build our non-profit urban farm.
Location: This position will be located at NeighborWorks Green Bay (437 S. Jackson St.) and The Farmory (815 Chicago St.) and/or remote.
Supervisor: You will be supervised by the Farmory Marketing Committee
- Create and schedule effective, engaging posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Monitor current activities and strive to improve the functionality of all social media (Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn)
- Create Graphics to help promote events and workshops for The Farmory
- Work with professional staff to develop goals for our social media presence
- Work with professional staff to develop an evaluation processes to determine effectiveness of social media program in relation to identified goals.
- Analyze similar institutions social media presence and strategies
- Experience using social media outlet, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Creative, some graphic design experience (programs like Canva and Adobe Creative Suite)
- Strong writing and editing skills, with attention to detail
- Positive attitude/customer service skills
- Must be self-motivated
- Time commitment will be at least 2 hours per week
The Farmory is a 501c3 nonprofit indoor urban farm with a social mission. Our mission is to provide opportunities in sustainable agriculture that increase economic self-sufficiency and improve health and wellbeing of residents of all ages and abilities. We accomplish our mission through education, outreach, and service learning programs that bring students and adults into our working aquaponics farm and fish hatchery.
© 2021 The Farmory All rights reserved.