The Farmory is home to a state-of-the-art fish hatchery. In our hatchery, we hold multiple systems to produce a year-round supply of fingerlings. Our hatchery holds over 10,000 gallons of water. The hatchery contains 4 brood stock systems, a 12-tank larval system, and a raceway tank for fingerling grow-out. The Farmory specializes in percids, which is the family of fish that includes yellow perch, walleye, and sauger. Interested in purchasing some for yourself? Check out our store!
Notice To All Buyers:
We are a small non-profit organization, staff time is highly valuable to us. We want to help everyone with their questions as much as we can while still making sure we can take care of our fish. Short, simple questions can be answered over phone or via email.
Our Hatchery Manager is available to help answer any extensive questions on a consulting basis (1 hour minimum required). If you desire a consultation with our Hatchery Manager in order to ask questions on taking care of your fish, systematic issues or concerns, please fill out the consultation request form.
On-site at The Farmory/Over Phone: $100/hr (1 hour minimum to book consultation)
Travel and Meet at your farm/location: mileage fee ($0.58/mile) and $200/hr on site (1 hour minimum to book consultation)
Otherwise please see our resources below or plan to attend one of our Perch 101 classes to make sure you are as best prepared for taking care of your fish.
Hidden Open Toggle
How to Order:
Go to our online store to place your order and reserve your fish. We have limited quantities of each grade and size, so we recommend ordering early to ensure availability.
Pick Up By Appointment Only:
You must make an appointment before coming to pick up your fish. We do not a designated store front. Appointments are required to ensure staff is there to receive and help fulfill your order. Once fish leave the biosecure hatchery, all sales are final, and no returns will be allowed.
Materials Needed for Fish Pick Up:
Customers should be prepared to bring their own coolers or buckets. Your fish will come in bags with pure oxygen to ensure safe transport. Please make sure you have enough containers to house the number of bags your order will require. A Farmory Staff member will be in contact with you to coordinate pick-up details. Bagging fees are built into the total price of the fish. If you wish to waive the bagging fees on your order, please contact our Hatchery Manager (920)-544-0789.
- Delivery may be arranged on a limited basis and for an additional fee of $1.50 per mile each way (up to 60 miles from Green Bay). Once fish leave the biosecure hatchery, all sales are final, and no returns will be allowed. Prior to placing your order, please contact The Farmory to discuss your needs and we will do our best to accommodate, (see Resources below).
- If you are farther than 60 miles from Green Bay and will place a larger order (2000+ fingerlings) please contact our Hatchery Manager for professional fish hauling options.
Full refunds are available up to 48 hours prior to arranged pick up or delivery. For cancellations within 48 hours, a 75% refund will be issued. All sales are final once fish leave the hatchery. Once fish leave our facility we will not accept any returns of fish. Questions? Call Annie Schmitz, Hatchery Manager at (920) 544-0789
Once fish leave our facility – we are not liable for any casualties of those fish. Staff helps arrange necessary details for transporting your fish back home. You are responsible for ensuring your fish safely make it to your system.
We are available to help solve any potential system problems – please fill out the form for a consultant appointment with our Hatchery Manager.
Yellow Perch Store
Our yellow perch are young stock that is ready to grow to adult market size. They are not fully grown fish ready for harvest. If you have a pond or tank system, (see Resources below), you can grow out your own perch for fun or profit!
Hidden Open Toggle
About our Perch:
- Biosecure: Our yellow perch have been raised from eggs in our bio-security facility. You will receive clean fingerling fish, free from parasites and pathogens.
- Graded: The fingerlings have been graded for size. Your fish will not need to compete with bigger fish, so they will grow efficiently and not bully each other.
- Feed Trained: The fingerlings have been raised and weaned to a commercial pelleted feed. Your fish are ready to grow, with very little food waste.
- Green Bay Strain: Broodstock lines originate from the bay of Green Bay. You can populate your outdoor water body with the assurance that you are introducing only a native strain of fish.
- Raised Indoors: Our fish were born in an indoor facility with noises and people. They are quite tame and easy to observe and monitor. If you have an indoor system, these fish will acclimate to your environment very quickly. They also transition smoothly and instinctively to outdoor environments.
- Health Certified: Our fish have been evaluated by an independent and licensed vet. A copy of our health certificate is available upon request.
Our fish are graded into three size grades. We have a limited quantity of perch at each grade. See our resource page for Grade and Size considerations.
- Premium: These are the largest fish available, the top 20% in size for their cohort. The majority of these fish will be females and they will grow fast. Suitable for broodstock or a really fat fish fry.
- Production: These fish are affordable and will grow consistently. They are a perfect choice for either production purposes or pond stocking.
- Hobby: These fish are the smallest size for their cohort. They are the best value for people getting started in perch aquaculture.
Fish in our system grow an average about one inch per month. If you want a specific grade of fingerling at a determined size, you will need to place your order before we sell out, or the fish grow out of that size and grade. Please see our internet store to place your order. Staff will contact you when your fish are ready for pick up.
You are responsible for making sure you have the proper registration or permitting for your operation! In addition, if you plan to resell fish, we highly encourage you also get your own health certification. The links below will provide more information on both proper licensing for your operation and health certificates.
Locations/numbers of fish vets in WI
Feeding Your Fish:
We feed our perch a commercial pelleted feed, and recommend a grower ration of your choice that consists of 42-45% protein 10-14% lipid. To ease the transition between The Farmory’s grower ration and the ration of your choice, we have quantities of our feed on our store available for purchase. Gradually transition your fish to the feed of your choice. Feed should be stored in a cool, dry place.
For maximum growth of your fish, we recommend you feed a ration of up to 5% of their body weight. Our fish are fed only twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. We recommend you stick to a scheduled time for feeding.
Transporting Your Fish:
Proper transportation of your fish is crucial! Below we will provide some helpful guidelines and equipment recommendations for you so you ready to pick up your fish.
- Container: Choose containers that are best appropriate for your total number of bags that your order will entail. We recommend coolers as they will help keep the bags insulated from heat.
- Temperature: Your fish leave our hatchery at roughly 68 degrees. For the health and safety of your fish, you will need to be able to maintain that temperature. Travel times play a role into how you transport fish. Longer travel times, plus high ambient air temperature or solar gain (from an open trailer), will require an insulated container to prevent the water from heating too fast.
- Upon Arrival: Check temperature of your home water body. Perch can handle moving to relatively cooler water easier than going to warmer water. If the temperature of transport water is greater than a 2-3 degrees difference than your home water body, you will need to gradually bring the water temp of the fish to the temp of your home water body. If your home water body temperature is 72 degrees or more, contact us before transferring fish to your facility. Don’t forget to maintain aeration to your fish while adjusting temperatures.
© 2021 The Farmory All rights reserved.