Current Open Positions at The Farmory
Hidden Open Toggle
Fish Hatchery Intern
Looking to get involved in aquaculture and gain real hatchery skills right in your community? The Farmory is a unique social enterprise located in Green Bay, Wisconsin. We are looking for a graduate student OR 2 undergraduate students to join our team as a Fish Hatchery Intern. We use indoor RAS systems to raise and produce yellow perch right in Downtown Green Bay. The Farmory is working to bring this species into cultivation and seed the next generation of aquaculture and aquaponic farms in Wisconsin and beyond. Using yellow perch and walleye The Farmory aims to revitalize the stagnant aquaculture industry in Wisconsin. In Green Bay and Wisconsin, perch and walleye have cultural significance as culinary staples in the “Friday Night Fry.” Due to ecosystem challenges the wild fisheries of these species have plummeted. Sustainable and healthy approaches to feeding our communities are more important than ever and aquaculture is poised to play a critical role. Aquaculture is a dynamic practice, and the industry has enormous potential.
The fish hatchery intern will help operate our indoor controlled environment recirculating aquaculture system. This individual will be responsible for helping maintain our 10,000-gallon fully RAS hatchery that includes broodstock, larval and juvenile systems. Additional water will be added as our experience and capacity increases. This individual will also help maintain the Aquaponics Demo Lab alongside the Hatchery Technician. A well-qualified candidate will be a confident team player that can guide volunteers who do not necessarily have aquaculture/aquaponics experience.
Time Commitment: This 15-week internship will start August 1, 2022, and end November 14, 2022. Time commitment is an average of 30 hours a week for a graduate student or an average of 10-15 hours a week for an undergraduate student. There will be some weekend work required.
Location: This position requires on-site work. The individual will need to have a reliable method of transportation to and from hatchery location.
This intern will report to the Hatchery Manager or the Hatchery Technician and will work in a team with the other Farmory Staff and volunteers to accomplish deliverables.
- Help hatchery staff with the intense work of culturing larval yellow perch
- Record data and observations
- Daily care and cleaning of all fish culture areas, monitoring of water quality parameters, and maintenance of hatchery biosecurity
- Hatching and feeding Artemia for larval rearing
- Measurement and enumeration of percids larvae and fingerlings
- Manage care and feeding of percids fingerlings.
- Help hatchery staff prepare and fulfill fish sales
- Help develop and refine aquaponics procedures
- Help maintain and care for aquaponics demo lab system
- Attend weekly Farmory Staff and Hatchery Staff meetings
- Help hatchery staff train new volunteers/program participants
- Help train new volunteers/program participants on the aquaponics demo lab system
- College level student with coursework in Biology/Fisheries/Environmental Science
- Ability to lift 40 pounds or more
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills and effective in task and time management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A thorough understanding of basic science data collection and testing
Well Qualified candidates will have:
- A strong desire to learn about aquaculture practices
- Higher level coursework in Biology/Fisheries/Environmental Science
- Experience with science data collection and management
- Experience with volunteers is a plus
- A willingness to work with hatchery staff on other facets of the hatchery facility
Benefits of Interning at The Farmory:
- Bio-Security certificate
- Commercial hatchery experience
- Aquaponics management experience
- Knowledge of how to feed train freshwater fish
- Live feed culture experience
- Non-profit work experience
- Weekly Stipend pay
- Housing available if needed
To apply, please send the following documents to Annie Schmitz email@example.com
- A cover letter stating why this position is a good fit for you
- A resume
- Three references
Review of well-qualified applicants will start on May 16, 2022. The final deadline to apply is June 20, 2022. Tentative start date for the internship is August 1, 2022.
Community Engagement Specialist VISTA
NeighborWorks Green Bay & The Farmory
Help create strong, vibrant, sustainable neighborhoods as an AmeriCorps member at NeighborWorks Green Bay and The Farmory. We’re living a dream: help us tell our story and build our power as individuals and as a community!
NeighborWorks Green Bay (NWGB) and its neighbor The Farmory are on a mission to create healthy, sustainable communities where people live well and are connected to their neighbors.
NeighborWorks Green Bay is a nationally recognized community-leading institution with a long track record of success in helping people secure affordable decent housing and setting themselves up for economic self-sufficiency. The Farmory, launched in 2016 by NWGB, educates neighbors in sustainable urban agriculture, encouraging the development of job skills through the growth of healthy fish and greens.
We seek a VISTA with a passion for community and urban agriculture who can build our organizations’ capacities to tell the story of our missions, our business, and our neighborhoods.
Benefits of serving as an AmeriCorps member include:
The NeighborWorks Green Bay & Farmory AmeriCorps VISTA will engage community building by:
The AmeriCorps member will serve an average of approximately 35 hours a week. Training will be provided by AmeriCorps, NeighborWorks Green Bay, The Farmory and NeighborWorks America, including the opportunity to attend NeighborWorks America’s Community Leadership Institute.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for community and environmental sustainability! They will have strong communication skills and should enjoy engaging people from diverse backgrounds as they work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and individuals throughout the community. The AmeriCorps member will need to be organized, think and act strategically, and respond appropriately to feedback from teammates and collaborating organizations. They should be able to act independently when they are able but seek guidance when needed.
The AmeriCorps member will be serving NeighborWorks Green Bay and The Farmory in Green Bay, WI.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by Wednesday, July 13th to Julie Filapek, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, you may email Julie or call her at (920)217-8744.
For more information about NeighborWorks Green Bay, please visit www.nwgreenbay.org.
Social Media Intern
The Social Media Volunteer/Intern will grow and maintain The Farmory’s social media presence, with the goals of raising awareness (of the organization) and engaging readers in our efforts to build and grow a non-profit urban farm. All social media activity will be guided by The Farmory’s organizational goals and marketing guidelines.
Location: *Currently remote until further notice.
NeighborWorks Green Bay
437 S. Jackson St.
Green Bay, WI 54301
815 Chicago St
Green Bay, WI, 54301
Supervisor: Farmory Staff and Marketing Committee
- Intern will attend Farmory Staff Meetings every Monday 2-3PM unless otherwise agreed-upon
- Act upon their creative freedom
- Update, maintain, and implement our Farmory Social Media Strategy according to our Marketing Committee’s needs
- Give valuable input and ideas during staff and committee meetings
- Attend weekly check-ins with Farmory Staff
- Actively be a part of our Farmory team
- Social Media management on all platforms
- Event planning, either in-person or remote, including but not limited to Give Big Green Bay, FarmoryWorks Graduation Ceremony, our Annual Campaign, and the planning and reviving of our Farmory Workshops
- Create and schedule effective, engaging posts on our social media platforms
- Creating and implementing agendas for our Marketing Committee meetings, as well as attending them to add fresh ideas and talent to our team
- Monitor current activities and strive to improve the functionality of all social media (Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn)
- Create graphics to help promote events and workshops for The Farmory
- Work with Farmory staff to frequently update and implement our Social Media Strategies and be able to relay information
- Analyze similar institutions social media presence and strategies
- Experience using social media outlets (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Research and analytical skills
- Creativity, some graphic design experience
- Strong writing and editing skills, with attention to detail
- Positive attitude
- Must be self-motivated
- 5-8 hours per week, but will increase to 10-15 during week of events
This will be a 3-month contract. If desired, this contract may be renewed.
Compensation: Unpaid Internship
The Farmory is a 501c3 nonprofit indoor urban farm with a social mission. Our mission is to provide opportunities in sustainable agriculture that increase economic self-sufficiency and improve health and wellbeing of residents of all ages and abilities. We accomplish our mission through education, outreach, and service learning programs that bring students and adults into our working aquaponics farm and fish hatchery. If you are interested in learning more about the developing project or are interested in becoming involved, please call Carmen Dehn at email@example.com or (920) 593-3703.
Follow The Farmory
© 2021 The Farmory All rights reserved.