Are you interested in helping us build a sustainable food future right here in Green Bay? Would you like to take part in a community-driven project to grow local, healthy food and improve lives through job training and education? We’re always looking for new volunteers at The Farmory in a variety of roles.
AmeriCorps VISTA at The Farmory
Are you looking for a new place to grow?? Do you have a nephew, cousin, daughter, friend or long lost twin who is looking for an opportunity to blossom? We encourage you to share this position opening!
What is AmeriCorps VISTA, you ask? The VISTA program presents the opportunity to participate in a national service program that supports local nonprofits by developing organizational capacity for longevity and sustainability. Not only do you get to give back to your community, but you also get dozens of service perks through the VISTA position, such as an option to receive an education award in addition to your biweekly stipend.
HAVE FUN, EARN, AND LEARN…be a VISTA with The Farmory today!!
Farmory Education and Marketing Outreach Coordinator VISTA Positions Service Term: September 4, 2019 – August 31, 2020
Join the team at The Farmory as a VISTA member and help us GROW “The Farmory!” This VISTA member will work with other leaders to transform a former military armory into a sustainable, indoor, urban farm and fish hatchery. Armory + Farm= FARMORY!
The Farmory is a 501c3 nonprofit indoor, organic, urban farm with a social mission. Our mission is to advance economic self-sufficiency, increase health and well-being, and improve the environment by providing opportunities in sustainable agriculture. We accomplish our mission through education, outreach, and service learning programs that bring students and adults of all ages and abilities into our working aquaponics farm and fish hatchery. The Farmory is providing a real living laboratory for sustainable agriculture that captures the imagination of youth and elders alike; and, provides points of entry to the field for anyone, no matter their skills or abilities. We address core issues of poverty, health, and nutrition by teaching community residents how to grow and prepare healthy, nutritious food, which reduces the strain on grocery budget and contributes to positive health outcomes and obesity reduction.
VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a program through the Corporation for National and Community Service that engages participants to build organizational capacity, become “architects of change,” and eliminate poverty. The VISTA members serving with The Farmory will have an impact on individuals and the community, while gaining excellent experience in the development of a project focused on community, environment, and food sustainability. They will be working with other community leaders who have wide and deep expertise within the various aspects of The Farmory development. VISTA members earn a modest bi-weekly stipend and the choice of an Education Award or End of Service Stipend at the end of the term. Housing may also be available for whom housing is a barrier to participating. Please see the VISTA website for more information about national service. https://www.vistacampus.gov/
The Farmory Educational Programming and Marketing Outreach Coordinator
• Coordinate volunteer resources of Education Committee and Marketing and Outreach Committees in order to strengthen service delivery
• Plan, coordinate and implementing educational workshops and programs at The Farmory and at community events
• Plan, coordinate and implement or social media and print marketing and fundraising efforts
• Conduct market research for The Farmory’s mission programs and farm products
• Conduct an assessment of current and future educational opportunities; liaise with educational institutions and community collaborators to develop educational partnerships
• The VISTA position will connect closely with other staff and volunteers to stabilize communities and build personal and community assets in low and moderate income communitites.
The ideal Farmory VISTA member should be able to work both independently and in groups, be comfortable engaging people from diverse backgrounds, think and act strategically, and respond appropriately to feedback from teammates and collaborating organizations. They should be able to act independently when they are able, but seek guidance when it’s needed. The Farmory VISTA member should have sound computer skills, focusing on Microsoft products.
To apply, successful applicants should submit 1. Cover Letter outlining your skills and experience. 2. Resume. 3. List of three references. Please send to Claire Thompson, email@example.com by Monday, July 31st.
If you would like further information, please email or call Claire at 920-593-3708.
Volunteer Positions we are currently looking to fill:
Social Media and Graphic Design Intern
Purpose: If you are on point with your social media game and graphics, consider using that skill to help The Farmory grow! The Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteer/Intern will lead efforts in The Farmory’s social media presence to raise awareness of the organization and engage readers in our efforts to build a non-profit urban farm. All social media activity will take place in conjunction with organizational goals and overall marketing strategies.
Location: This position will be located at The Farmory (437 S Jackson St Green Bay)
Supervisor: You will be supervised by Farmory Marketing Committee Chair
- Create and schedule effective, engaging posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Monitor current activities and strive to improve the functionality of all social media (Website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Create Graphics to help promote events and workshops for The Farmory
- Work with professional staff to develop goals for our social media presence
- Work with professional staff to develop an evaluation processes to determine effectiveness of social media program in relation to identified goals.
- Analyze similar institutions social media presence and strategies
- Experience using social media outlet, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Creative, some graphic design experience
- Strong writing and editing skills, with attention to detail
- Positive attitude/customer service skills
- Must be self-motivated
- Time commitment will be at least 4 hours per week
Fish Hatchery Volunteers
Purpose: Do you want to be part of something new and exciting? The Farmory is launching our yellow perch fish hatchery and we need volunteers to help care for our fish! Specifically, you would be watching over the eggs, larvae, and fingerlings of our brood stock. We are offering volunteer positions or internships. The Farmory needs passionate volunteers that are willing to help tend to the fish in our system to ensure that we are producing happy and healthy fish. You will be key in helping us launch the aquaculture and aquaponics industry in Wisconsin with education and consistent seed stock (fingerlings) for prospective aquaculture and aquaponics farmers!
Location: This position will take place at, The Farmory (815 Chicago St. Green Bay, WI 54301).
Supervisor: You will be supervised by the Farmory Hatchery Director, Dr. Ken Webb.
- Daily fish hatchery tasks to help monitor and care for yellow perch eggs, larvae, and fingerlings
- Recording research and observations
- Keeping the area clean/Putting materials back where they belong
- Working with a team to ensure health of whole “farm”
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills and effectiveness in task and time management
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Training will be provided by Farmory Hatchery Director
- A minimum of 4 hours a week
We offer three shifts daily:
Shift 1: 7:00am-8:30am
Shift 2: 12-12:30pm
Shift 3: 4:00-5:00pm
Current Openings: Shift 2 on Thursday, Shift 2 and 3 on Fridays, Shift 2 and 3 on Saturdays, all Sunday shifts.
The Farmory is a 501c3 nonprofit indoor urban farm with a social mission. Our mission is to provide opportunities in sustainable agriculture that increase economic self-sufficiency and improve health and wellbeing of residents of all ages and abilities. We accomplish our mission through education, outreach, and service learning programs that bring students and adults into our working aquaponics farm and fish hatchery.
Interested persons should download the Fillable Volunteer Information PDF and email the completed form to Allison Hellenbrand, Farmory Volunteer VISTA at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please feel free to call (920) 593-3714 with any questions. Site Address: 815 Chicago St., Green Bay, WI 54301. Mailing Address: 437 S. Jackson, Green Bay, WI 54301. Media inquiries or questions regarding donating can go to Claire Thompson at email@example.com.